This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

MLA citation fields

Got questions about Citavi 3? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

MLA citation fields

Postby Jeremy S. » 2012-07-16 07:34

System information: [ Citavi Version 3.2, Windows 7, English, -, -, - ]

I'm a new user of Citavi, and I'm mostly happy with it. However, I'm having problems figuring out how to handle a couple features of MLA formatting. The 7th ed. of the MLA requires including the names of databases (e.g., JSTOR) and medium of publication (e.g., PDF File, Web, etc.) for electronic sources, including electronic versions of print sources. When I select "Journal Article" as the Reference Type, it automatically defaults to "Print" for medium and there's no field for including the name of online databases where I retrieved the article (usually in a PDF format I downloaded and saved). How can I add a custom field (i.e., database) that will display properly in the citation and address the medium issue?
Jeremy S.

Re: MLA citation fields

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2012-07-17 13:31

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks very much for your question! Unfortunately, there's currently no easy way to cite the database that a journal article was found in. We hope to improve this in a future update or version.

As a workaround, you can put the database name in one of the custom fields. I've modified the MLA style and attached it below so that if you enter the database name in Custom field 4, it will be inserted before the medium of publication. For example, you'll end up with something like the following:

Callard, A., W. Newman, and K. Payne. “Delivering a Pharmacogenetic Service: Is There a Role for Genetic Counselors?” J Genet Couns (2011). PubMed. Web. 17 Oct. 2011.

Please also make sure to enter a URL for each of these sources in the field URL in online journal. Otherwise the condition won't be applied when you format your document.

To use the style attached here, please save it to the folder Documents\Citavi 3\Custom Citation Styles. When you restart Citavi, it should appear in the list of citation styles.

If you have additional questions, please just let us know!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Attachments
MLA 7th ed._modified.ccs
(628.42 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 3 Support (English)