This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Maps within Atlases (take 2)

Got questions about Citavi 3? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Maps within Atlases (take 2)

Postby je1188 » 2011-09-26 14:35

System information: [ Citavi Version 3.1, Windows 7, English, Firefox 5.x, MS Office 2010 32Bit, Acrobat X ]

Hi,

This is a re-post from July/August, but unfortunately we never came to a solution on the second half. Thanks for the help this time around.

I am trying to create a bibliography for cartographic materials and I was wondering if you have an option for maps that appear in atlases. I see the citation type "Map," which includes maps and atlases, but in the fields, it doesn't indicate a way to insert both sets of information. Is there a feature similar to the "collected works" or "edited volume" reference styles for cartographic materials? Should I adopt a different strategy?

I use the Chicago style citation format. The maps that I need to catalog/cite are one of four types (1) Manuscripts/stand-alone maps; (2) maps in atlases; (3) maps in books/journals; (4) facsimiles. I think that your regular map feature works for the first kind, but for the latter two I think that it should look something like this:

Map in an atlas
Map author. "Map title" [format]. Scale. In: Atlas author. Atlas title. Edition. Place of Publication: Publisher, Date, page.

Map in a book
Map author. "Map title" [format]. Scale. Place of Publication: Publisher, Date. In: Book author. Book title. Edition. Place of publication: Publisher, Date, page.

Map in a journal
Map author. "Map title" [format]. In: Article author. "Article title", Journal title, Volume (Date): page.

Facsimile
Author. "Title" [format]. Scale. Original place of publication: Original publisher, Original date of publication. As reproduced by, Place of publication: Publisher, Date.

Some of these might be able to be encompassed in a single citation style, I'm guessing. Any thoughts?

Best,
Jeff
je1188

Re: Maps within Atlases (take 2)

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2011-10-31 10:33

Hi Jeff,

Thanks very much for reposting. Unfortunately, this was a case of a forum question getting lost in the shuffle. My apologies for the long delay!

We unfortunately don't have any ideal way of dealing with maps in other sources. You can however tweak your citation style so that it better fits these reference types.

For a map in an atlas, I would recommend adding the atlas as an Edited Book and the map as a Contribution in an edited book. Using the Citation Style Editor, you can then add or change positions of certain fields to get the results you want. To make changes to Chicago Author-Date for example, you could make a duplicate of the Title Supplement component in the Citation Style Editor and then change the formatting so that brackets appear. You could also place one of the custom fields in the rule set and then just make sure to enter the scale of the map in the same custom field for each reference:

For a map in a book, do you need the publication details to appear both for the map and the book as a whole? If not, I would again add the map as a Contribution in an Edited Book. If you do need to be able to enter the publication details you could possibly use the Original publication field and add that component in the Citation Style Editor.

Maps in a journal are a bit trickier, since the Journal Article reference type does not allow for two sets of authors. You could potentially add the map as a Contribution in a Special Issue if you need both sets of information. Here you would also have to make some changes to the citation style in the Citation Style Editor.

For facsimiles I think you could possibly use the reference type Archive Material and then include the information from the source in which the map was published by selecting Published in on the Reference tab. Again, this will require a few tweaks to your citation style to get the exact formatting you want.

Since the Citation Style Editor is not very intuitive and since there are a few things you might want to consider before making certain changes to your citation style, I would be glad to help you make the necessary modifications during a live support session via desktop sharing. I'll send you the details for the session to the email address you used to sign up for the Citavi Forums.

Best regards,

Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 3 Support (English)