This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Maps within Atlases

Got questions about Citavi 3? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Maps within Atlases

Postby je1188 » 2011-07-27 16:39

System information: [ Citavi Version 3.1, Windows 7, English, Firefox 5.x, MS Office 2010 32Bit, Acrobat X ]

Hi,

I am trying to create a bibliography for cartographic materials and I was wondering if you have an option for maps that appear in atlases. I see the citation type "Map," which includes maps and atlases, but in the fields, it doesn't indicate a way to insert both sets of information. Is there a feature similar to the "collected works" or "edited volume" reference styles for cartographic materials? Should I adopt a different strategy?

Thanks,
Jeff
je1188

Re: Maps within Atlases

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2011-08-12 11:39

Hi Jeff,

Our apologies for the slow reply! Unfortunately, you're correct that Citavi doesn't have the option to link a map to a parent reference. Could you let us know which style you are using or give us an example of how you would like the finished reference to appear? Depending on what you want, it might be possible to tweak the citation style a little bit or to use the document types "edited book" and "contribution in."

Thanks!
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Re: Maps within Atlases

Postby je1188 » 2011-08-17 17:00

Hi Jennifer,

No worries on the delay. To respond to your question, I use the Chicago style citation format. The maps that I need to catalog/cite are one of four types (1) Manuscripts/stand-alone maps; (2) maps in atlases; (3) maps in books/journals; (4) facsimiles. I think that your regular map feature works for the first kind, but for the latter two I think that it should look something like this:

Map in an atlas
Map author. "Map title" [format]. Scale. In: Atlas author. Atlas title. Edition. Place of Publication: Publisher, Date, page.

Map in a book
Map author. "Map title" [format]. Scale. Place of Publication: Publisher, Date. In: Book author. Book title. Edition. Place of publication: Publisher, Date, page.

Map in a journal
Map author. "Map title" [format]. In: Article author. "Article title", Journal title, Volume (Date): page.

Facsimile
Author. "Title" [format]. Scale. Original place of publication: Original publisher, Original date of publication. As reproduced by, Place of publication: Publisher, Date.

Some of these might be able to be encompassed in a single citation style, I'm guessing. Any thoughts?

Best,
Jeff
je1188

Return to Citavi 3 Support (English)