This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Keywords not appearing in the knowledge organizer

Got questions about Citavi 3? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Keywords not appearing in the knowledge organizer

Postby scherft » 2011-07-20 17:57

System information: [ -, -, -, -, -, - ]

I have a problem concerning the organization of the knowledge under Citavi. When I assign keywords to quotations, it shows them in the knowledge keyword panel in brackets: (..), but then when I close the software and reopen it later, all the knowlledge panel shows are the keywords but without their content: Image

And when I look at the quotations individually, they all still have the keywords in the "keyword" entry. It's really annoying because, with this problem, all the keyword option is useless, and I quite need it.

I thank you in advance for your answers and your patience.
scherft

Re: Keywords not appearing in the knowledge organizer

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2011-07-21 15:59

Dear Scherft,

Thanks for your question! Could you please let me know which version of Citavi you are using? This information can be found by clicking Help > About.

If the version number is lower than 3.1.0, could you please install the latest update and see if the error still occurs? To do so, click An update is available and follow the steps in the setup assistant. Alternatively, you can download the most recent version of Citavi at http://www.citavi.com/download.

Thanks!
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby scherft » 2011-07-21 17:30

Dear Jennifer,

Thank you for your answer. Unfortunatly I run Citavi currently under the latest update, the 3.1.0.

I really hope you can help me solve this problem, because it scares me a little: and I am only at the beginning of my research!

Waiting for your answer, I wish you a pleasant day.
scherft

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2011-07-22 08:28

Dear Scherft,

Our developer would like to take a closer look at this issue, so I think it would be best if we do a live support. I'll send you the details using the email address you used to register on the Citavi forum.

Thanks for your patience!

Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2011-07-25 15:58

Dear Mr. Scherft,

Thanks so much for sending your project! Luckily, the project file is intact and no data was lost. All the assigned keywords and their links to corresponding quotations were saved correctly. The data is still in your project, it's just not appearing in the knowledge organizer for a reason we have not yet been able to identify.

Since we cannot reproduce the problem on our computers, we ask that you and other customers experiencing this same issue please install the latest beta version of Citavi (3.1.1). This version contains a more targeted activity log that will help us locate the cause of this error.

After installing Citavi 3.1.1, please create an activity log. To do so, on the Tools menu, click Options, then press Ctrl+T. A checkbox and button appear in the bottom left of the window. Next, select the Create activity log checkbox and then click OK. Do the steps that produce the error. Then, on the Tools menu, click Options, and then click Save log to save the activity log to a file. Finally, send the activity log file to support@citavi.com. Please enter the URL of this forum post in the subject line.

To stop the logging process in Citavi, on the Tools menu, click Options, clear the Create activity log checkbox, and then click OK.

If you would like to see for yourself what we're looking for, you can access the live log viewer by pressing Ctr+Alt+F5. The log should list the following three processes:
1. When the project is opened, a list of all keywords and their corresponding knowledge items will be loaded in the computer's memory ("Loading...").
2. This list is then displayed in the Knowledge Organizer ("Initializing & Displaying...").
3. Clicking a keyword filters the corresponding knowledge items ("Filtering...").

For each of these three processes you should see log entries, similar to the ones shown below. If one of the processes does not appear in the log, we will have a better idea of where to look to fix the error.

Many thanks in advance for your patience and assistance!

Jennifer

1. Loading

2. Initializing & Displaying

3. Filtering
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby scherft » 2011-08-02 07:25

Dear Jennifer,

It's been a week since I sent you my log file and I was wondering if you had come to any solution regardind this problem.

In the meantime, I wish you a very pleasant day.

Scherft
scherft

Postby Antonio Tejada » 2011-08-05 15:22

Hello everyone, we've got a clue as to what's causing the problem, which luckily is just cosmetic. Here's the workaround:

For some users, the offline project cache caused problems. Keywords applied to knowlege items, as well as links between references, would not appear after closing and reopening the project. The keywords and links are saved in the project, however. Disabling the cache allows them to appear again, so as a workaround, you can follow these instructions to disable the cache:
  1. Exit Citavi.
  2. In Windows Explorer, in the address bar, enter %APPDATA%\Swiss Academic Software\ and press Enter.
  3. Rename the ProjectCache folder to ProjectCacheOLD.
  4. Start Citavi and open a project.
  5. On the Extras menu, click Options. On the Folders tab, clear the Enable offline copies of non-local projects (caching) checkbox and click OK to finish.
  6. Exit and restart Citavi, then open the project. The missing items should appear now.

Regards,
Antonio
Antonio Tejada
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 3 Support (English)