This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Files Linked or Copied to Citavi?

Got questions about Citavi 3? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Files Linked or Copied to Citavi?

Postby Jason » 2011-06-19 07:48

System information: [ -, -, -, -, -, - ]

Hi,

I am exploring Citavi.

My situation is this --

I am constantly reorganizing my PC. Sometimes I take a group of files, find a new way to rearrange them on my hard drive. I rename folders, I move them around. Other times I offload them to an external drive. I do this on regular intervals and, well, constantly, is the best way to describe this practice of mine. I do not plan to give up this practice.

So can Citavi work with me on this? I noticed in other file managers, people upload their file, and the software holds its own copy, so then it doesn't matter where else it is stored.

With Citavi does the file have to stay in the same place for it to be properly linked?

I like your interface, solid performance, and layout better than the others. I hope I can find a way to make this software work for my situation.

Thank you.
Jason

Re: Files Linked or Copied to Citavi?

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2011-06-20 08:19

Hi Jason,

Thanks very much for your praise and your question! There are a few different ways to work with files in Citavi. When you add a file on the Reference tab by clicking Local file, Citavi will give you the options Copy into the Citavi project, Move into the Citavi project, or Link the file, but don't move it. If you want to save all of your files only in the Citavi project folder instead of in their original location, the option Move into the Citavi project is the best one.

If you choose the option Link the file, but don't move it, I would suggest using relative paths. You can set this option under Tools > Options > Folders. There you will also find the option to repair broken file paths, just in case you need it.

Hope this helps! If you have any additional questions, please just let us know.

Jenny
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 3 Support (English)