This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Copying selection from Publication Assistant w/keyboard Topic is solved

Got questions about Citavi 3? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Copying selection from Publication Assistant w/keyboard

Postby JJSlote » 2011-01-14 14:48

System information: [ Citavi Version 3.0.1, Windows XP, English, Firefox 3.x, -, - ]

Greetings

If the user selects some text in the Publication Assistant, and right-clicks, he's prompted to choose among: Copy, Select All, or Zoom. The Ctrl-C keyboard option for Copy is not functioning, and that window also implicitly offers the keyboard shortcuts O, S and Z, none of which are active.

All Best
Jerome
JJSlote

Re: Copying selection from Publication Assistant w/keyboard

Postby Antonio Tejada » 2011-01-28 12:21

Dear Jerome,

sorry for the slow response. I've been trying to get those shortcuts to appear, and I simply can't. How are you doing it?

Ctrl+C causes just the placeholder to be copied to the Clipboard. I think that's the intended function, but of course that means the command in the shortcut menu is wrong. I've made a bug ticket for this.

Regards,
Antonio
Antonio Tejada
Citavi Customer Service

Postby JJSlote » 2011-01-28 20:57

Greetings Antonio

In the attached image, note that the "o" in Copy, the "S" in Select All, and the "Z" in Zoom are underscored. By GUI convention, these are displaying as shortcut keys to the function, but the shortcuts aren't active.

The user would also expect to obtain the same function by clicking on Copy as by pressing Ctrl+C. In the instance displayed in the image, the click copies the highlighted phrase "ability to locate information" while Ctrl+C copies a placeholder "{Accardi 2010}". (I hadn't noticed the placeholder behavior earlier, as I've been using Citavi primarily to manage Thoughts in the Knowledge Organizer.)

So the three menu approaches to Copy ("o", Ctrl+C, click) are behaving differently from one another. And there's an additional problem. "{Accardi 2010}" is not the correct placeholder here; that would have to be "{Grafstein, 2002}." "Accardi" is the reference highlighted in the hidden References tab, not in the active Knowledge Items tab. So it's more likely that copying the placeholder was not intended, and that Citavi should be copying the highlighted phrase, as it does on a click.

Thanks for following up

Jerome

PubAssistPrompt.png
JJSlote

Postby Antonio Tejada » 2011-01-31 11:38

Dear Jerome,

Thank you for the additional information. (To prevent confusion, I'm going to use Microsoft's terminology here: shortcuts to mean key combinations like Ctrl+C, and accelerator keys to mean the underlined letters.)

I actually can't get the accelerator keys to show up; nothing I do makes the underlines appear in the right-click menu (I can get them to appear in the menu bar, but not the right-click menu).

I was not able to get Ctrl+C to copy the wrong item -- I got the correct quotation with the matching placeholder. Does the problem you described happen consistently?

Thank you!
Antonio
Antonio Tejada
Citavi Customer Service

Postby JJSlote » 2011-01-31 14:55

Hi Antonio

Yes, this behavior is consistent. It's odd that your display isn't showing accelerator keys. My display even shows them in German, as K, L and Z. Since there are only a few of us discussing Citavi in English as yet, perhaps you could ask others on the German board what they see. Just to confirm: we're selecting some text from a previewed item in the Publication Assistant, then right-clicking.

Setting accelerators aside, having selected some text and right-clicked, do you not copy different content to the clipboard depending on whether you press Ctrl+C or left-click on Copy? Again, for me:

1) Under the Reference Tab, Ctrl+C copies only the placeholder, not the selected text. Left click on Copy or Kopieren copies the selected text.

2) Under the Knowledge Items or Wissen tab, left click likewise copies the selected text, while Ctrl+C copies not the associated placeholder, but the placeholder that is hidden under the Reference tab.

I'm using release 3.0.3; is it possible that we are running a different build of the Publication Assistant?

Regards
Jerome
JJSlote

Postby Antonio Tejada » 2011-01-31 15:43

Dear Jerome,

Hmm, interesting, I tried it again and I'm getting the same behavior you described. I'm going to test this on a few other machines and see if it's consistently reproducible.

As for accelerators: I've never been able to figure out what environments make them appear by default; here I've tried on Windows 7, Vista, and XP -- same result on all of them.

I'll keep looking!

Best regards,
Antonio
Antonio Tejada
Citavi Customer Service

Postby JJSlote » 2011-01-31 16:57

Hi Antonio

I'm glad you've reproduced the copying behavior. I suspect also that if you report to developers that one of your users is seeing accelerators in English and German, and has posted a screen image, they'll have no difficulty in determining why, and in deciding whether to remove these accelerators or activate them. In the process, they'll likely discover why your own installation and others may not display them.

All Best
Jerome
JJSlote

Re: Copying selection from Publication Assistant w/keyboard  Topic is solved

Postby Antonio Tejada » 2011-02-01 15:04

Hi Jerome,

I just checked with the developer: the only time the accelerators appear is if the option to force all accelerators to be shown all the time is selected in the Ease of Use Center in the Windows Control Panel. So on almost all systems, they will never appear in right-click menus. Because of this, he says they will not likely be fixed.

The copying problems will be fixed.

Regards,
Antonio
Antonio Tejada
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 3 Support (English)