This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Reference Types Clarification

Got questions about Citavi 3? The Citavi team and other users are happy to help.

Reference Types Clarification

Postby joster » 2010-12-09 18:24

System information: [ Citavi Version 3.0.0, Windows XP, Other language, Internet Explorer 8, MS Office 2007, Acrobat Version 9 ]

Hi,

I am a new user of Citavi, and I must say it is a quite useful and user-friendly application to manage our books/references' collections, and much more than that. The minor "drawback" I can find is not being able to provide an online access and/or synchronize it with a bookmarking service, like for instance, BibSonomy, so one could have access to our projects online.

While entering my books/digital references, I have sometimes found myself unsure which reference type to use.

Should we treat all digital documents (web pages, PDF, PPT, etc.) as Internet Documents? That is, classifying the documents by their origin? Yet, a lot of those documents, are handhouts, essays, thesis, presentations, etc.

Which reference type should one for a whole journal or magazine (periodicals). I have be using Journal Articles for referencing partial (articles) information from a periodical, but it not seems to be the most appropiate reference type to enter a whole periodical.

Is it possible to create new reference types?

Is there any document (in english) or site detailing the best use of each of the Citavi's reference types.

Thank you,
José Terreiro
joster

Re: Reference Types Clarification

Postby Antonio Tejada » 2010-12-10 11:32

Dear José,

Thank you for the kind words!

The full English manual is still in progress. (Press F1 in Citavi to see the chapters that have already been published.)

In the meantime, be sure to read the Quick Help texts that appear when you click a reference type in the selection window. These give you a great deal of guidance when choosing the correct reference type.

The reference types in Citavi are fundamentally defined around the needs of correct citation. With that in mind, choose the reference type that matches the substance of the reference, not the physical medium it came on. For example: even though you download a PDF of a journal article from the Internet, it's still a Journal article (reference type), because you cite it as a journal article. As another example, the same applies to a PDF of a thesis: add it as a thesis.

With any reference, you can add a link to a local file or Web address of the digital copy. If the citation style requires the URL to be listed, it will appear in the bibliography.

Because journals are not usually cited as a whole, there's no reference type for them. It's customary to cite only the article. (Because of a few very obscure styles that do, we will be adding the journal reference type to a future version of Citavi.)

In contrast, many citation styles cite edited books in addition to contributions to them, so both of those exist as reference types.

Citavi 3 does not allow the user to create new reference types, but this is planned for Citavi 4.

You can indirectly export to Bibsonomy:
  1. Enable TeX support in Citavi: on the Tools menu, click Options, then select the TeX support checkbox.
    1. Export to BibTeX: On the File menu, click Export.
    2. Click All n references in this project.
    3. Select the BibTeX export filter (click Add export filter if you don't see BibTeX in the choices).
    4. Click Next to finish the export process.
  2. Import the BibTeX file to Bibsonomy.

Sincerely,
Antonio
Antonio Tejada
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Citavi 3 Support (English)