This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Trying to fix Turabian footnote glitches

Ask questions about selecting and using citation styles.

Trying to fix Turabian footnote glitches

Postby Mercury » 2012-02-25 21:28

Hello,

I'm loving Citavi in general, but hoping to fix a few problems with the way citations are formatted so that I can use it reliably for my work. I'm using the the Turabian notes format.

1. I was hoping to use the citation key support to generate my short titles that are used for repeating non-consecutive sources in footnotes. However, I need to generally have three words with no articles. The options allow for "First n words" or "First word only (ignore articles)". Is there a way to have "First n words (ignore articles)"?

2. Another way I thought I could do the short title is by using a custom field. Ideally, the custom field would contain a shortened version of the title, and if it was blank, the full title field would be used. How do I create a custom condition in the Citation Style Editor for when Custom field 1 is empty? If I need to use the "Program a custom condition" option, is there a basic template available for what it looks like to check for an empty field?

3. If a book is a revised edition, the Edition field contains "rev. ed." In a footnote, this text appears after a comma and so should appear in lowercase. However, in the bibliography, it appears at the beginning of a new sentence and needs to be capitalized. I do not want to set the Citation Style Properties to capitalize the first letter of every sentence automatically, since there are many exceptions where this is not wanted. Instead, how do I create a component in the Citation Style Editor that uses a field (in this case Edition), but capitalizes the first letter?

4. Is there a way to nest parentheses properly in footnotes? If a citation appears within parentheses, I'd like the normal parentheses surrounding the publishing information to appear as square brackets instead. If there is a tag I can add to the citation (such as {Author 2009 /embedpar} or something similar) that would be great!
Thank you very much for your help!
Mercury

Re: Trying to fix Turabian footnote glitches

Postby Jörg Pasch » 2012-02-27 20:18

Hello Mercury,

pls. find our answers to your questions below.

Kind regards,
Jörg

ad 1.
The option you reuqire is unfortunately not available. Nevertheless we would recommend to use the citation key function. If you need e.g. the “First 3 words (ignoring articles)” we suggest to choose 4 words instead and adjust the keys manually by placing the cursor into the resp. field and pressing F9.

ad 2.
Although creating such a custom condition is possible in principle, we would not recommend it. Adjusting the whole citation style accordingly would be far more time consuming than the solution above adjusting just the citation keys. (And more error prone too.)

ad 3.
We do not have an automated solution for that. However, there are two components inside the citation style editor for the edition field: “edition” itself and “edition number derived”. Currently the Turabian style uses “edition” only. If the edition field contains only a number, Citavi automatically adds an “ed.”: “5” becomes “5th ed.” If the edition field already contains “5, rev. ed.”, Citavi will leave this as it is. You could therefore create a new template, that is only made use of in cases, where the edition field contains the acronym “rev” by adding a programmed custom condition. Here, too, we would not recommend this approach, since this would require approx. 20 new templates in the citiaton style editor: two for each document type that makes use of the edition field, of which the first would treat the case where the field contains “rev” and the second would the case where the field contains “rev” AND we are dealing with a reference by some author who has been cited before with some other reference of his.

Ultimately, I think it is easier to leave everything as it is now and do a search & replace in Word afterwards, adjusting the capitalization accordingly.

ad 4.
I need to come back to you on this one. There might be some solution using switches or a special condition (or a mixture of both), but I have to double check that.
Jörg Pasch
Citavi Customer Service

Re: Trying to fix Turabian footnote glitches

Postby Mercury » 2012-02-27 20:56

Hi Jörg,

Thanks for the quick response! You've helped me to determine what can be done automatically and what I'll need to tweak by hand later. By the way, I found another solution to the "Rev. ed." issue (my third point): I've defined a new replacement in the citation style properties that changes ", Rev." to ", rev." Then, I just need to make sure it's capitalized in the field itself.

Thanks for looking further into the nested parentheses issue. If that has to be adjusted manually in my word processor, that will require a lot of extra time, since it occurs frequently.

Also, I came across one more issue that I can't find a way around. For some works, I have both an author and an editor (or an author and a translator). In some cases, it is important for both to be cited, such as ancient works where the translator or editor is the best way to distinguish major editions, since they may have many different publishers after falling into the public domain. Citavi hides the editor field if there is an author, and only allows an author to be added to an edited book within a contribution. Is there any way to add a book with both an author (or authors) and an editor (or editors or translators)? This is a standard situation that both the Chicago and Turabian styles define; in Turabian 7th ed. it's described on page 164.

Thanks again for helping me work through this. If these issues can be resolved, I'll have a Turabian template that follows the spec much closer than the one that is currently available.
Mercury

Return to General Questions