This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

sort bibliography Topic is solved

Ask questions about selecting and using citation styles.

sort bibliography

Postby mnaah » 2017-02-02 23:24

Hi there,

I am using the Society of Biblical Literature (2nd edition) style, which I have tinkered with a bit.

With the bibliography, it should be sorted by author/editor and then the title alphabetically. In this system, both single and double quotation marks should be ignored. When I use the 'sort alphabetically' code under the advanced program option, it reads quotation marks (both single and double) as characters, and places these before any other titles. When using the custom selection with 'Author, editor, or organization Ascending' and then 'Title Ascending' it ignores the double quotation marks before a journal article title, but reads the single quotation marks of within that title. Thus I get:

Seitz, Christopher R. “‘You Are My Servant, You Are the Israel in Who I Will Be Glorified’: The Servant Songs and the Effect of Literary Context in Isaiah.” CTJ 39 (2004): 117–34.
———. The Book of Isaiah 40–66: Introduction, Commentary, and Reflections. NIB 6. Nashville: Abingdon, 2001.

because it's alphabetizing 'you before The. Is there any chance of modifying the custom program code so that it checks the first character to see if it is quotation mark and ignore than, and then check the second character and ignore than too, and then alphabetize according to the third?

thanks
mnaah

Re: sort bibliography  Topic is solved

Postby Susanne Sitzler » 2017-02-03 11:14

Hi mnaah,

thanks for your questions.

There's a script for strictly alphanumeric sorting available in our FAQ (German only). In this script, double and single quotation marks are ignored during sorting.

Best regards
Susanne

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Susanne Sitzler
Citavi Customer Service

Re: sort bibliography

Postby mnaah » 2017-02-03 18:33

That worked perfectly Susanne. Thanks!
mnaah

Re: sort bibliography

Postby Susanne Sitzler » 2017-02-06 09:12

Hi mnaah,

thank you so much for writing back.

I'm glad to hear that it's working now.

Please just let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards
Susanne

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Susanne Sitzler
Citavi Customer Service

Return to General Questions