This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Italic term in italicized title field won't display as roman Topic is solved

Ask questions about selecting and using citation styles.

Italic term in italicized title field won't display as roman

Postby Mercury » 2016-11-23 05:58

Hi, my citation style puts book titles in italics, but if the book title contains an italicized term, it is supposed to revert to roman type. In Citavi, this doesn't seem to work.

Here's an example (note that "E. coli" isn't italicized):
  • T. Hugh Pennington, When Food Kills: BSE, E. coli, and Disaster Science (New York: Oxford University Press, 2003).
Is there a way to get this to work?
Mercury

Re: Italic term in italicized title field won't display as r

Postby Susanne Sitzler » 2016-11-23 09:23

Hi Mercury,

Thank you very much for your question.

Unfortunately, if the citation style has italic formatting for titles and a book title contains an italicized term, this term won't revert to recte.

As a work around, you could mark those words as bold. After finishing your paper, you would first convert Citavi Fields to Static Text (on the Citavi ribbon, click Convert > Save a copy as static text). Afterwards, you could use the Word function "search" to get all bolded and italicized text in your document.

We have added the suggestion for this to our wish list for new features a while ago, though. Since our main focus right now is on Citavi Web, I unfortunately can't promise when or if the feature will be added.

Kind regards,
Susanne

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Susanne Sitzler
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Mercury » 2016-11-23 18:17

Thanks Susanne. That's too bad. Since my documents are likely to have many other bolded phrases, that workaround is too tedious to be workable. I would also like to find a solution that doesn't remove the associations between my document and Citavi (as converting to static text does).

Is there a programmed filter I could add to the field to italicize only those portions that aren't marked in italics?
Mercury

Re: Italic term in italicized title field won't display as r  Topic is solved

Postby Susanne Sitzler » 2016-11-25 16:57

Hi Mercury,

Thank you for your response.

Do you mean some bolded phrases in your Word document? That would be no problem, since the outcome of the former bolded phrases would be bolded AND italicized.

My colleague has now created a programmed code that you can add to your title components. On this page, you can download the filter.

Please just let us know if you have any additional questions!

Kind regards,
Susanne

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Susanne Sitzler
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Mercury » 2016-11-26 00:30

Wonderful! Many thanks to you and your colleague. I was able to make a version that works for displaying the parent title in a child reference as well, by adding/changing these top lines:

Code: Select all
         handled = false;
         if (citation == null) return null;
         if (citation.Reference == null) return null;

Reference reference = citation.Reference.ParentReference;
Mercury

Postby Susanne Sitzler » 2016-11-28 09:50

Hi Mercury,

Thank you for your response.

We have updated the programmed code, so that it works for the parent title in a child reference as well. Thank you so much for pointing this out.

Please just let us know if you have any additional questions!

Kind regards,
Susanne

Susanne Sitzler
Citavi Customer Service

Return to General Questions