This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Citavi style editor missing

Ask questions about selecting and using citation styles.

Citavi style editor missing

Postby b1azk0 » 2016-06-10 08:58

Hi,
i was trying to translate APA 6ed into Polish but couldn't find the editor anywhere.

Could you plase help me?
Is there a way to quickly switch english names in the style to polish (eg. [in]->[w], Ed. -> Wyd. and so on)?
b1azk0

Re: Citavi style editor missing

Postby b1azk0 » 2016-06-10 09:02

Also, and I don't understand why, some in text citation (APA6Ed style) appear the way want:
(name, name & name, 2016) while on other occasions, the same citation is inserted as (name et. al, 2016).

This is not always happening with 3 or more authors cites but it's rather limited to specific bibliographical entries.

How could I change it, to make it always look as (name, name & name, 2016) ?
b1azk0

Postby b1azk0 » 2016-06-10 09:14

SOLVED issue with editor missing
For some reason citavi lost my licence. Now SHIFT+F11 is back again.

But still I'd hear if there is an easy and quick option to tranlate a style and how to work with different ways of displaying same citations. Thanks
b1azk0

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-06-10 16:26

Hello b1azk0,

Thanks for your questions! I'm glad the problem with the editor is solved. As long as Citavi is being displayed in English or German, the editor should be available (even without a license key), so I'm not sure why it temporarily wasn't working for you. Had you possibly just switched from another language shortly before?

Unfortunately, there's no quick and easy way to translate a style. You have to go into all components in the style that have text and then replace the existing text with the translation. For a complex style like APA that will likely take a while. You can get a good overview of how to make changes to a style in the Citation Style Editor in our manual:
http://www.citavi.com/sub/manual5/en/index.html?cse_creating_citation_styles_overview.html

The APA rules for when to cite with "et. al." can be found in the original documentation (screenshot).

If you want authors to always be cited the same way, you can go to the Unknown reference type and delete all the templates other than the default template under Rule set: in-text citation.

Please just let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby b1azk0 » 2016-06-13 07:50

Hi Jennifer,
thank you for your reply.

I managed to solve citation issues by myself - translation is not needed after all.

As for the editor, you are correct - i switched citavi from english to polish and then back to english. But the editor was missing after both switches. Citavi also lost it's licence when I tried to append one of my projects to a word document (blank word open with citavi plugin view + two open projects in separate citavi windows). After reentering lic info all went back to normal.
b1azk0

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-06-13 08:59

Dear b1azk0,

Thanks for the update! I'm glad to hear that everything is now working as it should. I'm guessing the missing editor was a display problem. Sometimes when switching languages, I also notice that a help text or the Word Add-In isn't displayed in the changed language right away. Usually after switching to a different workspace and then back, the language is updated. Perhaps the missing menu entry was a similar display issue. If this problem occurs again and you're able to reproduce it, could you perhaps send us a log file? To create an activity log:
  1. On the Tools menu, click Options, then press Ctrl+T. A checkbox and button appear in the bottom left of the window.
  2. Select the Create activity log checkbox and then click OK.
  3. Do the steps that produce the error.
  4. On the Tools menu, click Options, then click Save log to save the activity log to a file.
  5. Send the activity log file to service@citavi.com. Please include the Web address of this page in your message.
  6. On the Tools menu, click Options, clear the Create activity log checkbox, and then click OK.

If you can also reproduce the issue with the license being lost, an activity log for the Word Add-In and for Citavi would be helpful for our developers.

To create the Word Add-In log, please do the following:
  1. On the Citavi ribbon, click About:
  2. In the window press Ctrl+T.
  3. Select the Create activity log checkbox and click Close.
  4. Perform the steps that lead to the error.
  5. On the Citavi ribbon click Save log.
  6. Send the log to service@citavi.com. Please include the link to this forum post in the message.

For this error, we'd also need a log file that is started as soon as Citavi is started. You can find the steps for creating one at www.citavi.com/activitylogging under "B".

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Return to General Questions