This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

How to set up "op. cit." citation?

Use these conditions to implement unusual style guidelines.

How to set up "op. cit." citation?

Postby skyblueink » 2013-05-21 13:01

I am using a citation style typical in Korea, that calls for "ibid." and "op. cit." citation. The ibid. citation can be set up easily using "Consecutive citation (same reference)" condition.
http://service.citavi.com/KB/a208/ibid-citations.aspx?KBSearchID=27279

As to setting up op. cit. citation, I tried to make use of "Reference was cited in a previous footnote." condition, but in vain. I realized that I misunderstood the meaning of the condition. While the citation style I am using requires a clear separation of Ibid. and op. cit., "Reference was cited in a previous footnote." was implying "Consecutive citation (same reference)".

Since the definition of "op. cit." is "Reference was cited in a previous footnote, but NOT Consecutive citation (same reference)", I think another condition is needed to support this obsolete citation style. Or do you have a solution that does not need an additional condition?
Attachments
citavi_image5.png
skyblueink

Re: How to set up "op. cit." citation?

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2013-05-22 15:48

Hello,

Thanks so much for your question! Since Citavi reads conditions from top to bottom, we recommend always placing the most specific condition at the top. If you place "Consecutive citation (same reference)" above "Reference was cited in a previous footnote" as it looks like you have in your screenshot, you do not need another condition, since the topmost template will then be used whenever the same reference is cited twice in a row.

In case you would still like to have the condition in order to combine it with other conditions, I am pasting the code here:
Code: Select all
using System.Linq;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using SwissAcademic.Citavi;
using SwissAcademic.Citavi.Metadata;
using SwissAcademic.Collections;

namespace SwissAcademic.Citavi.Citations
{
public class CustomTemplateCondition
:
ITemplateConditionMacro
{
public bool IsTemplateForReference(ConditionalTemplate template, Citation citation)
{
//for "op. cit.", two conditions must be met
//1.) citation must be a repeated footnote citation ("Reference was cited in a previous footnote") BUT
//2.) it MUST NOT be the immediate predecessor (non-consecutive), because that would be "ibid." (or "loc. cit.", if also the quoted pages are identical)

if (citation == null) return false;

var reference = citation.Reference;
if (reference == null) return false;

var currentFootnoteCitation = citation as FootnoteCitation;
if (currentFootnoteCitation == null) return false;
if (currentFootnoteCitation.Reference == null) return false;

var previousFootnoteCitation = currentFootnoteCitation.PreviousCitation as FootnoteCitation;
if (previousFootnoteCitation == null) return false;
if (previousFootnoteCitation.Reference == null) return false;

bool conditionMet = false;

conditionMet =
currentFootnoteCitation.RuleSetOverride == RuleSetOverride.None &&
currentFootnoteCitation.YearOnly == false &&
currentFootnoteCitation.IsRepeatingFootnote &&
currentFootnoteCitation.Reference != previousFootnoteCitation.Reference;

return conditionMet;
}
}
}

We plan to include this as a built-in condition in a future version.

Please just let me know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby skyblueink » 2013-05-22 20:32

Thanks for the kind explanation and the code. Now I understand op. cit. citation style can be implemented without adding additional condition, that is by placing the most specific condition at the top. But the .rtf document I'm working on still gives 'Ibid.' where 'op. cit' is expected when formatted in Citavi. Neither the correct order of the conditions nor the new condition implemented by the code you provided with solved the problem. Would you mind checking it out? I'm sending, via WeTransfer, the .rtf file along with a citation style and a Citavi data file (the same ones I sent yesterday) used in 'Format publication'.
Attachments
citavi9.png
skyblueink

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2013-05-23 07:20

Hello,

We'd be happy to take a look! I have your files and will get back to you about what I find sometime today.

Thanks again!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2013-05-23 09:02

Hello,

Thanks again for your patience! The problem was due to the way the condition "Consecutive citation (same reference)" behaves. It doesn't take into account non-placeholder footnotes or citations in the text. In your document footnote 6 and footnote 9 had the same reference. Footnotes 7 and 8 only contained text and did not contain any placeholders, which is why "Ibid." was applied.

To get around this problem, I replaced the default "Consecutiv citation" condition with the following condition, which is not applied unless the footnotes are exactly one footnote apart:
Code: Select all
using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;

namespace SwissAcademic.Citavi.Citations
        {
           public class CustomTemplateCondition
              :
              ITemplateConditionMacro
           {
              public bool IsTemplateForReference(ConditionalTemplate template, Citation citation)
              {

if (citation == null || citation.Reference == null) return false;

//Current footnote citation must be from a reference cited before in some other footnote
                FootnoteCitation currentFootnoteCitation = citation as FootnoteCitation;
                if (currentFootnoteCitation == null || !currentFootnoteCitation.IsRepeatingFootnote) return false;

//The current footnote citation's immediate predecessor must be a quote from the same reference ...
             FootnoteCitation previousFootnoteCitation = currentFootnoteCitation.PreviousFootnoteCitation;
             if (previousFootnoteCitation == null) return false;
             if (previousFootnoteCitation.Reference == null) return false;
             if (previousFootnoteCitation.Reference != currentFootnoteCitation.Reference) return false;

//... and it must not be further apart than 1 footnote index number
             //(i.e. they can reside inside the same footnote or in subsequent footnotes and must not be separated e.g. by reference-free footnote)
                if (currentFootnoteCitation.FootnoteIndex > previousFootnoteCitation.FootnoteIndex + 1) return false;

return true;
              }
           }
        }

I've sent you the citation style by email. Could you please try it out when you have a chance?

Thanks very much in advance!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby skyblueink » 2013-05-23 12:30

Thank you very much, Jennifer.
The new version of "Consecutive citation (same reference)" that take into account non-placeholder footnoters made my day! Although 'op. cit' citation is falling into disuse, and being replaced with short-title form, as Chicago Manual of Style says, it is still widely used in some parts of the world.

My next question is concerned to Multiple citation. References are seperated by semicolons in multiple citation, but in my citation style semicolons are preceded by periods. How can I remove periods preceding semicolons? Of course the period at the end of the multiple citation should remain.
I'm sending a new .rtf file for you to complie.
Attachments
citavi10.png
skyblueink

Postby skyblueink » 2013-05-23 20:35

Thanks. The e-mailed style file works fine!
skyblueink

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2013-05-24 08:37

Hello,

I'm glad to hear that the style seems to be working now! What I did was to remove the period in the Punctuation after field for the component Quotation page range since it otherwise is included after every citation in a multiple citation. I then created a new "period" component:

Please just let us know if you have any additional questions!

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Postby skyblueink » 2013-05-24 10:13

Jennifer

I understand that the period in the Punctuation after field for the component Quotation page range is included after every citation in a multiple citation. That's why you removed it. But I was just wondering about why the newly-created 'period' component is not always included, since it is included only after the last citation in a multiple citation. Does that mean that the 'period' component is different from other components such as 'Title' or 'Year derived' that are always included in a multiple citation?

Another question is whether the font name that always precedes 'Footnote ##' in Placeholders preview is normal or not.(Please refer to the attachment) I remember seeing this kind of Korean font names preceding text elements such as abstract, direct quotation, summary, etc. when we had Korean-typing problems.
Attachments
citavi11.png
skyblueink

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2013-05-24 15:54

Hello,

As I understand it, text components before and after "field" components in a rule set are disregarded when the multiple citation is created. This is why you can also have parentheses before and after "field" components in the rule set and they won't appear between each citation like this:
(Schultz 2002)(Brown 1999)

The font name question looks like a similar bug to the one we had in fields using RTF. Does it occur in the formatted document as well or just in the preview pane?

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Next

Return to Custom Conditions