This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

How to filter a field based on another field

Use these conditions to implement unusual style guidelines.

How to filter a field based on another field

Postby Mercury » 2016-11-23 23:06

The Turabian and Chicago reference types avoid listing "Anonymous" for an author, and instead require a known author not listed in the source to be displayed in brackets. If there is uncertainty, it should be displayed with a question mark before the close bracket.

So, this is the first example from the Turabian guide (8th ed., p. 168-69):
  • N: [Ebenezer Cook?], Sotweed Redivivus, or The Planter’s Looking-Glass (Annapolis, 1730), 5–6.
  • B: [Cook, Ebenezer?]. Sotweed Redivivus, or The Planter’s Looking-Glass. Annapolis, 1730.
Since names display differently in bibliographies ("Cook, Ebenezer" instead of "Ebenezer Cook") it is not possible to simply add the brackets and question mark to parts of the name, whether in the last or first name or even in the prefix or suffix. So, the best way I can see to do this is to have a custom field that can contain a word (like "AuthorAdded" or "AuthorGuessed"), and then use a programmed template condition to change the display if either of those words is found. (This is similar to how the public SBL template deals with Encyclopedias.)

I got this working for one reference type, but it required me to triple the number of templates, making it extremely unwieldy. Would it instead be possible to use a programmed filter on an component to change its display based on another field? So, for my name components, I'd like to add a filter that adds square brackets around the full text if Custom field 2 contains "AuthorAdded", and add square brackets with a question mark around the full text if Custom field 2 contains "AuthorGuessed".

Is this possible?
Mercury

Re: How to filter a field based on another field

Postby Mercury » 2016-11-24 20:16

Never mind, I got it to work! The SBL 2nd ed. citation style has a filtered condition for a doi/website component that does something similar, and I was able to adjust it to work. (Though this particular solution only works for single names; if there are multiple authors, marking the resource as AuthorAdded will add one set of brackets around all the names.)

Now I'm one step closer to a fully-conforming Turabian template!
Mercury

Re: How to filter a field based on another field

Postby Jennifer Schultz » 2016-11-25 16:56

Hi Mercury,

Thanks so much for sharing your solution with us! I had passed on your question regarding a programmed filter to our developer, who is still looking into whether it would be possible from a technical standpoint. If we do come up with another solution, I'll be sure to post it here.

Best regards,
Jennifer
Jennifer Schultz
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Custom Conditions