This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

2 questions on creation of styles Topic is solved

View tips and post questions related to the Citation Style Editor.

2 questions on creation of styles

Postby mnaah » 2016-06-07 21:41

Hi there,

I'm currently using the Society of Biblical Literature 2nd edition style, and tweaking it where necessary to make it more accurate (things like dealing multiple presses, 3 em-dash line for repeated authors in bibliographies, some of the more specific cases like a titled volume in a multi-volume work, inclusion of doi, etc).

I have 2 quick questions:
1. The style says that titles should be Title: Subtitle unless the title ends with punctuation (like a question mark), in which case the colon should be dropped as in Title? Subtitle . Is this possible to automate?
2. I see that in a number of styles, the final punctuation for a footnote reference must be manually added. Is this so that multiple references in the same footnote are correctly separated by a semi-colon? Again, is it possible to automate?

thanks,
Dan
mnaah

Re: 2 questions on creation of styles  Topic is solved

Postby Jana Votteler » 2016-06-08 10:40

Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your questions.

1. Please define a replacement rule in your citation style.
To do so in the citation style editor, click File > Citation style properties > Replacements.

2. You are right, the reason for adding the appropriate punctuation for each footnote manually is that the punctuation does not cause problems with multiple citations (and additional text) in one footnote.

Therefore, this should not be automated.

Please just let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind regards,
Jana

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Jana Votteler
Citavi Customer Service

Re: 2 questions on creation of styles

Postby mnaah » 2016-06-08 15:55

Thanks Jana, that's what I needed to know.

One question, why could not another replacement rule be made to cover the multiple citations and therefore allow punctuation to appear at the end of a footnote reference? That is, .; becomes ;

It seems to work well in my testing.
mnaah

Re: 2 questions on creation of styles

Postby Jana Votteler » 2016-06-09 07:15

Hi Dan,

I am afraid, you would have to think about too many replacement rules:

14) Müller 1994, p 5. As said by Schmidt 2013, p 7f., and Kunz 1998, p 144 (not in later works).

These replacements could also work where you do not want them to.

Kind regards,
Jana

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Jana Votteler
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Using the Citation Style Editor