This forum is read-only - Please use our new Citavi Forum instead.
Dieses Forum dient nur zur Recherche - Bitte nutzen Sie das neue Citavi Forum für Ihre Fragen.

Using newspaper titles in bibliographies w/o article names

View tips and post questions related to the Citation Style Editor.

Using newspaper titles in bibliographies w/o article names

Postby aprtll » 2016-08-24 18:58

Is it possible to create a bibliography template in which only newspaper names rather than individual articles within the newspaper are included, or to cite only musical albums rather than individual tracks on the album? It looks like there's an option to have a bibliography which only includes parent references and excludes child references. However, I can't find how to switch it on and off, and I don't think that's exactly what I need. I would like to keep the ability to cite full article names for items from academic journals.

A slightly more complicated scenario I'm also interested in is that I would like to be able to have Citavi use date information I input to determine the first and last years in which I cite items from a particular newspaper and automatically include that information in the bibliography (e.g., "New York Times, 1890-1912"). Has anyone tried programming Citavi to refer to date ranges?
aprtll

Re: Using newspaper titles in bibliographies w/o article nam

Postby Susanne Sitzler » 2016-08-25 12:34

Hi aprtll,

Thank you very much for your questions.

You can use the Citation Style Editor to modify your existing style (or create new styles).
  1. Press Shift+F11. Or, on the Citation menu, click Citation style > Edit citation style.
  2. Choose your style and click Edit.
  3. If it is an included style, you cannot edit it directly. Therefore, Citavi creates a copy of the style. Enter a name for this copy.
  4. Begin making your changes.
There, under File > Citation Style Properties > Bibliography > Sorting > Programmed (for experts) > Customize you can insert scripts with a special sorting method, including some that exclude certain reference types from the bibliography.

To exclude certain reference types from the bibliography, insert the script you can find here.

Double click on the field EDIT Sections for each Reference Type (starts in code line 22). Here you can specify for each type of document, whether those titles should appear in the bibliography and eventually should be grouped together.

Use the following numbers to change the appearence of the document type:
-1 should not appear in the bibliography
0 is to be filed at the start (or end)
1 is to be sorted into the first group
2 is to be sorted into the second group
3 is to be sorted into the third group

Click Compile and then choose Save. After that, confirm with Ok and save the modified citation style.

Note: These sorting methods adjusted within your citation style are not applied if you create a project bibliography by clicking File > Print or save project bibliography. Instead, the references will use the sort order you defined in Citavi.

If you just want to exclude some references from the bibliography, you can achieve this even without editing the citation style. Insert the references in Word using the command Insert advanced > Bibliography entry: Do not add to bibliography. You can assign this option even subsequently, if you choose this option in Citavis Word Add-In within the Citations tab.

To refer to date ranges within newspapers I would see two options:

a) If the date range for a newspaper within a Citavi project remains the same, you could simply change the name of the newspaper (e.g., "New York Times, 1890-1912"). To modify an existing newspaper name, go to Lists > Periodicals and double click the entry you want to edit.

b) If you would like to cite more than one date range for a newspaper, you could use a custom field. You will have to add the used custom field component (e.g., "Custom field 1") within your citation style to the Newspaper Article template in the Bibliography rule set.

Kind regards,
Susanne

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Susanne Sitzler
Citavi Customer Service

Postby aprtll » 2016-08-25 18:21

Thanks very much, I will give these suggestions a try and see what happens.
aprtll

Postby Susanne Sitzler » 2016-08-26 10:47

Hi aprtll,

Thanks for your reply!

To refer to date ranges within newspapers, there is a third option, too:

c) You could add the newspaper (e.g., "New York Times, 1890-1912") as a "Special Issue" and the newspaper articles as "Contribution in Special Issue".

Kind regards,
Susanne

Did we answer your question completely? If so, please click the green check mark in the upper-right corner of this post. This helps other users find the solution to their questions.
Susanne Sitzler
Citavi Customer Service

Return to Using the Citation Style Editor